Saturday, April 17, 2010

Miracles ~ teach me to pray: Matthew 14 talks about Jesus Walking on the Water

Ah Man! I’m gonna make this short…
uh…
y e a h.
Again…
How many times did Jesus confront individuals and crowds of people because they
...we...
need signs and miracles to trust his Word?  
I don’t have that answer simply because the answer requires too much work.  

For Jesus to say it ONCE is enough for me to ask the Prayer Question, 
“Do I need a sign or miracle to hear God’s Word...
to trust the Word Incarnate...
to live with the desire to love God...
to believe Jesus is God?”
That ONCE is Mark 8: 11 & 12.  
I break everytime I hear, 
“(Jesus) sighed from the depth of his spirit.”
Thomas Jefferson wrote a bible.  He deleted all signs and miracles from his text so he would concentrate only on Jesus’ message.  Find a copy.  What do you think?  What do you feel about Jefferson’s efforts?
Yet, I love the miracles!
If it IS NOT about the miracle…
Find, read and pray with Matthew 14: 22-27.
Immediately
Jesus made the disciples get into the boat 
and go on ahead of him to the other side,
 while he dismissed the crowd. 
After he had dismissed them, 
he went up on a mountainside by himself to pray. 
When evening came, 
he was there alone
but the boat was already 
a considerable distance from land, 
buffeted by the waves 
because the wind was against it.
 During the fourth watch of the night
 Jesus went out to them, 
walking on the lake
When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, 
they were terrified. 
"It's a ghost," they said, 
and cried out in fear.
 But Jesus immediately said to them:

 "Take courage! 
It is I. 
Don't be afraid."
Matthew 14: 22-27

Jesus was alone.
Jesus missed his friends.  
Jesus wanted to be with his friends.
I can see Jesus seeing his friends 
in the boat so far away 
buffeted by waves.
I can see Jesus wanting to be with them so badly he just starts running toward them  
I believe Jesus didn’t even notice he was walking on the water until his friends told him.  

Jesus wanted to be with them...
    with me...
    with you...
    with us...
so badly nothing got in the way; not even the shoreline!  

No obstacles to being with them...
    with me...
    with you...
    with us!

Emmanuel!

Pray with me...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very poetic! And a wonderful point to make. I remember a scripture commentator saying that when people see miracles, their response is usually "More! More! More!" But the miracle isn't for our entertainment; it's a sign to point to God, His love for us, and our need for Him.

And what about faith? It's easier to believe when given miraculous signs, but we shouldn't demand them. And God isn't our magic genie to pop out of a lamp and grant us our every wish. He will not be commanded. Also, as Jesus had to remind Thomas, "Blessed are those who have not seen, yet believe."

Thanks for the post!

Evan