Saturday, December 19, 2009

Advent Examen ~ Jars of Clay, Worlds Apart

Hear the Jars of Clay “Worlds Apart” lyrics.
Hear the prayer questions to our Triune God.
Hear the prayer questions to ourselves.

Ask someone to read the lyrics to you

while your eyes are closed
while you’re aware of your heart beat
while you’re breathing is smooth and deep

Ask the person you invited to read this to you to sit next to you

be aware that
your shoulders are touching
your bended knees are touching

Invite God to sit on the other side of you

be aware that
your shoulders are touching
your bended knees are touching




Worlds Apart

I am the only one to blame for this.
Somehow it all adds up the same.

Soaring on the wings of selfish pride,
I flew too high
and like Icarus I collide with a world
I try so hard to leave behind.

To rid myself of all but love.

To give and die.


To turn away and not become

another nail to pierce the skin. 

To pierce the skin 
of one who loves
more deeply than the oceans.

To pierce the skin 
of one who loves
more abundant than the tear of a world.

To pierce the skin
of one who
embraces every heartache.

Can I be the one to sacrifice?

Or...Am I the one to grip the spear
and watch the blood and water flow?


To love you ~ take my world apart.
To need you ~ I am on my knees.
To love you ~ take my world apart.
To need you ~ broken on my knees.

All said and done
I stand alone
Among the remains of a life I should not own.

It takes all I am  to believe
In the mercy that covers me.

Did you really have to die for me?


All I am for all you are because
what I need and what I believe are worlds apart.

I look beyond the empty cross

forgetting what my life has cost

and wipe away the crimson stains

and dull the nails that still remain.

More and more I need you now.

I owe you more each passing hour.
The battle between grace and pride

I gave up not so long ago.


Steal my heart. 
Take the pain.

Wash the feet. 
Cleanse my pride.

Take the selfish. 
Take the weak.

Take all the things I cannot hide.

Take the beauty. 
Take my tears.

Take this sin-soaked heart and make it yours.

Take my world apart.

Take it now.
Take it now.

Serve the ones that I despise.
Speak the words I can't deny.

Watch the world
I used to love
turn to dust and fall away.


I pray, 
and I pray, 
and I pray

take my world apart.


Jars of Clay from the album Jars of Clay, 1995




Be still your soul with this a while…


The three of you read this together…


hear the others’ voices sing this prayer
hear your voice sing this prayer





"Oh Thou, 
from whom the breath of life comes,

who fills all realms of sound, 

light 
and vibration.

May Your light be experienced in my utmost holiest.


Your Heavenly Domain approaches.


Let Your will come true - 

In the universe
 (all that vibrates)
just as on earth 

(that is material and dense).

Give us wisdom 

(understanding, assistance) 
for our daily need,

detach the fetters of faults that bind us,
like we let go the guilt of others.


Let us not be lost in superficial things

(materialism, common temptations),

but let us be freed 

from that what keeps us off 
from our true purpose.

From You comes the all-working will, 

the lively strength to act,
the song that beautifies all 

and renews itself from age to age.

Sealed in trust, 

faith 
and truth.
(I confirm with my entire being)



~ The Prayer To Our Father
(in the original Aramaic)



No comments: