Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The Tower of Babel ~ am I building one?

Ah man…

Before I legitimately ask myself and you the question, ‘Am I building a Tower of Babel’ let’s recap the story.

We were building a tower in the middle of town.

Some suggest we were building the tower in case we needed to escape from another devastating flood and were not the invited guests on an ark.  I don’t know...that’s applying too much Scripture as History for me…I don’t know why I added this snippet into this post; but, I did.  I am a mess.

The story itself states we were building the tower “to make a name for (myself).”

Whoa...now, I ask myself...and for your reactions…’Am I building a Tower of Babel in this very public journal?’

WARNING ~ tangent

actually, the term Tower of Babel isn't in the Bible; only, "the city and the tower."

Alright...alrightalright.

I am kinda thrown by God talking out loud, if you will, either to God's self or another about the folks in the city rather than directly to them,


"Then the LORD said: 
'If now, while they are one people, 
all speaking the same language, 
they have started to do this,
 nothing will later stop them from doing whatever they presume to do. 
Let us then go down and there confuse their language, 
so that one will not understand what another says'." 

God consistently talked to folks directly ~ the first two people, Abraham, Sarah, Moses, and other prophets I haven't brought to this prayer journal yet, Mary at the tomb


Alright…alrightalright.



Here we go.

God did come down to see what we were doing.

I wonder if our tower building motivation...our tower building attitude...our tower building goal...would be affected if upon seeing ‘a stranger among us’ ~ God in any recognizable manifestation ~ we invited ‘the stranger among us’ to join us in our work?

Ora et labora...

‘God, drop this straw in this mud while I mix it in.’

‘God, hold this hand made brick in place while I slather it with mortar.’

Kinda brings me back to the Preparation of the Gifts, again, when God acknowledges our cooperation with God in the Mass...our relationship with God through the Mass…

Ora et labora...

Blessed are you, Lord, God of all creation.
Through your goodness we have this bread to offer,
which earth has given and human hands have made.
It will become for us the bread of life.

Blessed are you, Lord, God of all creation.
Through your goodness we have this wine to offer,
fruit of the vine and work of human hands.
It will become our spiritual drink.


So, there you have it.

I joined several blog directories recently hoping to reach more people.  I hope to reach more people like me simply looking for others with whom to pray.  I sought affirmation from two Benedictine Abbots, a few Religious...my family and friends...complete strangers whose blogs touched me…

I pray I do seek others to work and pray with me
rather than forge a platform for my own agenda.

Suppose when God comes down to me to see what I am doing at this keyboard…
  
   I invite God to click SPELL CHECK.
   I invite God to click...
   I invite God to click POST this page...

Ora et labora...

Ah man...

I pray I open every potential blog post I write inviting God to join me.
 
I pray this very public prayer journal shares my relationship with God.

I pray I am honoring Emmanuel ~ God is with me.
 
I pray I am more in love with God than in love with myself...
   ...making a case for God in my life...
   ...rather than ‘making a name for myself.’

I need time to sit back...feel my heart beat...sigh...and breathe...

1 comment:

RAnn said...

Hi, and welcome to the Catholic blogosphere. I'd like to invite you to join Sunday Snippets--A Catholic Carnival. We are a group of Catholic bloggers who weekly share our best posts with each other. This week's host post is at http://rannthisthat.blogspot.com/2009/10/sunday-snippets-catholic-carnival_10.html